What I'll be reading next!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

my twitterings

    follow me on Twitter

    Saturday, December 27, 2008

    Merry Christmas

    I hope everyone had Merry Christmas, and I say that in the most general terms since no one is actually reading this blog. I thought some people were when I first installed the feedjit gadget, but when I installed google analytics and realized that on average people are only staying on this site 20 seconds I realized that anyone who comes here has landed by accident, oh well, maybe by sheer volume of writing I can actually trick people into thinking I have something to say.

    Well, I got a copy of Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling for Christmas. It was a pretty good book but disappointing on some counts. My goodreads review is below

    The Tales of Beedle the Bard The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling


    My review


    rating: 3 of 5 stars
    Hermione Granger inherited a copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard from Albus Dumbledore in the original runes. This is an English edition with annotations by Dumbledore himself. The stories are fables or moral tales for the wizarding community. Much like the fables and tales in the Muggle world they have both fans and opponents. Dumbledore goes to great lengths to explain to all of us exactly what was intended as the moral of the tale which came across to me as unnecessary. Dumbledore apparently assumes that we aren't bright enough to figure out how to apply the moral of the fable without his help. Dumbledore also manages to portray himself as quite the genius, nearly infallible and rather more than a little arrogant.



    I truly love J.K.Rowling's work and honestly have been a huge fan of Harry Potter since I laughed my way through the first chapter of The Sorcerer's Stone. I do hope any attempts on her part to return to the Wizarding world are better than this. It reminded me an awful lot of her other two mini-books: Quidditch through the ages and Fantastic Beasts and where to find them which were very gimmicky. I hate to see her considerable talent wasted on this. I had gotten my hopes up and wasn't left completely disenchanted, but mostly a little confunded. The stories were good, but a tad short even for the target audience. My 9 year old sone finished the stories in one quick evening, but skipped Dumbledore's explanations because they were too long. I did like it so I don't want to sound too negative, but it wasn't the visit back to the Harry's world that I had hoped for.


    View all my reviews.

    My Favorite quotes


    Quotes by QuotesDaddy.com