What I'll be reading next!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

my twitterings

    follow me on Twitter

    Friday, January 16, 2009

    Emotional Design by Donald A. Norman

    Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman


    My review


    rating: 5 of 5 stars
    Emotional Design  Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday ThingsThis book was an amazing discussion of the psychology behind the stuff we love. I particularly enjoyed how much it spoke to our social networking tools. Our desire to connect with tech is discussed. The chapter on the future of robots also spoke quite a bit to educational design. the author, was a Cognitive and Computer Scientist who studied how well things work. During this his time studying this he noted the frustration and devotion people developed with certain products.



    My most valuable lesson from this book was the importance necessity of considering the affective and emotional side to design. This is especially vital in designing learning experiences. Learning is very much an emotional endeavor. We learn stuff that tugs at our emotion. We learn because we value the skill or information. All in all a terrific book that if you are a designer, educator or technologist you really ought to read.



    The book is very accessible despite the academic credentials of Donald A. NormanDonald A. Norman


    View all my reviews.

    My Favorite quotes


    Quotes by QuotesDaddy.com