What I'll be reading next!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

my twitterings

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, February 3, 2009

    Ender's Game

    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/901.Ender_s_Gamehttp://www.goodreads.com/book/show/901.Ender_s_GameI have gotten hooked on GoodReads.com and I find I am spending time there and not updating here like I planned. Oh well, I am glad I can copy reviews from there to here with extreme ease, but I don't do as much just pointless rambling about books the way I really want to.

    But here's some. I recently reread Ender's Game, or rather heard Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. What an amazing book. I realize that it is probably in my top 10 all time favorite books. The depth to it is amazing. The sequels were good but the parallel book Ender's Shadow was amazing too. If you only read two of Card's books these are they. Oooh, that sounded like a Movie Commercial.

    Anyway, I read this book on my own and then reread it and wrote up a paper during my Master's work about the Instructional Design that was evident in the book. It was kind of a wierd way to look at the book. "How was Ender's education effective Instructional Design" but boy am I grateful to Andy Gibbons for giving that assignment. It was an optional assignment (extra credit, yes even in a Master's Degree) but I can never look at the book the same way. I found this time I was even more able to recognize the overtone of education in the book.

    Another amazing feat was Card's ability to portray a child both accurately and empathically. I as an adult found myself able to relate to Ender completely even though he was 6 when the book begins.

    Again I will say: top 10 all time for me.

    My Favorite quotes


    Quotes by QuotesDaddy.com